Just Roots?: Reflecting on Faith with the Millennial Generation
Over a year ago, the editorial staff of Unbound, Presbyterians Today, and Horizons got together to think about how we could work together to lift up the lives, work, and ministry of young adults. Thus was the Young Adult Editorial Team (YAET) – and the idea for this joint issue of three publications – born! The articles in this issue were (with just a few exceptions!) developed, written, edited, and published by young adults, those who make up the “millennial” generation – those born between roughly 1980 and 2000. Walk with us as we explore issues of faith and justice particularly relevant to young adults and ask questions about our roots as people of faith: Who are we, where have we come from, in what are we “rooted,” and what new “routes” will our lives, our church, and our world take as the years go by?
What Are Roots Anyway?
- Roots or Idols?: Opening Editorial, Rev. Ginna Bairby
Roots and Family
- When the Shoe Doesn’t Fit: Growing up Asian-American and Adopted in a Southern White Church, Jaime-Jin Lewis
- A Life of Grace (or Why My Family Lives in an Intentional Community), Mark Van Steenwyk
- Roots Entangled: My Bi-National Marriage, Ariel Givens
Roots and “Home”
- Millennials, Communal Living, and the Fourfold Path, Dana Caraway
- Settling in, Putting Down Roots, Beth Olker
Roots in Transition
- “In the In-Between”: Expanding Your Roots, Jocelyn Kirk
- Expanding Your Roots: The Playlist
- Expanding Your Roots: The Reading List
- A Refugee in Skinny Jeans, Dylan Rooke
Roots Across Borders
- Mutuality in Mission, Thomas John
- Uprooting One Another: Exile and Displacement in Colombia, Sarah Henken
Up-rooting and Re-rooting
- The YAV Program and ‘New Routes’, YAV Alumni/ae
New Roots for the Future
- More Than Just Calories: Feeding People at Cafe Pride, Rev. Alex Wirth
- The Future of Intentional Communities, Rev. Dr. Chris Iosso
- “I Wanna Be Rich:” The Kingdom of God and the Myth of the American Dream, Jae Cho
Featured Articles from Presbyterians Today and Horizons
- Digging Up Dirt on the Millennial Generation, Jeffrey A. Schooley, via Presbyterians Today
- Putting Down Roots: Community in Diaspora, Mihee Kim-Kort, via Horizons
Many thanks to John Russell Stanger, KC Kye, Jocelyn Kirk, and Ginna Bairby, the members of the Young Adult Editorial Team that created this issue of Unbound!
Cover Photo: YAV Montage from New Orleans.