Feasting on God’s Gifts; Fasting in SorrowBrought to you by Presbyterians for Earth Care: An Eco-Justice Network
Download the Lenten Devotional or check it out online!
PEC Lenten Reflection 2012, Moderator’s Comments,
by Diane Waddell
We enter into Lent in gratitude for God’s graciousness. We are in awe of the beauty of this sacred space with which God has gifted us. At the same time, we come in grief; with deep sorrow for the losses which Creation has borne…loss of topsoil, clean water, habitats of species; loss of clean air and pristine wilderness, of opportunity for fuller health and healing; and much more.
With this Lenten Devotional, Presbyterians for Earth Care invites you to enter into Lent with us … seeking… reflecting …pondering… “Feasting and Fasting.” Each devotional will contain Scripture, Prayer, and a Reflection. There is a reading for each holy day and one for each week of Lent.
The reflections are based on “Feasting and Fasting.” A 2006 set of devotionals from (then) Presbyterians for Restoring Creation followed a similar theme. Members explained, “We are called both to attend to the sacredness of Creation and to respond to it by active participation in the protection of Creation”.
Deep peace and strength to us all as we enter into this sacred holy season. May we together seek and find the connections and blessings of feasting and fasting as we encounter Christ in and through Creation.
A Prayer from the Lenten Devotional, by John Pitney
Creator God, make us worthy of our food. Let us feast to the fullest on the faire of flock and field that most honors the integrity of soil, water, air, the sanctity of human labor, and the sufficiency of community. Let us fast of tables that exploit, deplete, isolate, and condemn. And may we welcome to the best seats, the most marginalized of humanity and the most endangered of plant and creaturekind. If by breakfast, lunch, and dinner, we can condemn, then by dinner, lunch, and breakfast may we be saved. Amen.
More Lenten Environmental Resources
- Tread Lightly for Lent 2012 Calendar: Each of the 40 days of Lent has a topic to learn about or a suggested action for individuals and congregations; provided by the PC(U.S.A.) Environmental Ministries.
- 2012 Ecumenical Lenten Carbon Fast
- Seven Weeks for Water, 2012: Check in each week for special attention to “green economy;” provided by the World Council of Churches.
- ‘And It Was Good’ Lent Course: Anglican Communion Bible in the Life of the Church program.
- “Earth Care as Lenten Practice,” by Rebecca Barnes-Davies
- “Cross on my forehead, future generations on my mind,” NCC Eco-Justice Programs Ash Wednesday blog and action alert
- “A Lenten Fast: From Insight to Action in the Gospel of John,” Presbyterian Hunger Program reflections on food with farmers and global partners
Take Action Today!
- Join Presbyterians for Earth Care
- Order eco-palms for Palm Sunday 2012
- Pledge to avoid bottled water
- Become an Earth Care Congregation
- Young adults: become an Eco-Steward
- Go carbon neutral
- Get involved with GreenFaith: Interfaith partners for the environment
- Take action with the NCC Eco-Justice Programs