Resources available courtesy of Rev. Teresa Stricklen from the PC(USA) Office of Theology and Worship.
“I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for everyone, for kings and all who are in high positions, so that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and dignity.” -I Timothy 2:1-2
We are encouraged to pray for our leaders daily, which is why it is standard to include prayers for the President of the United States in our prayers of intercession in our Sunday Service for the Lord’s Day.
On Presidents’ Day, however, it is good to be reminded of the sacrifices and heavy burdens good Presidents have borne for us. It is also wise to remember how abuses of power have oppressed many innocents and to remember the Ruler of Creation to whom we owe our primary allegiance.
Hymns for Presidents’ Day and Patriotic Holidays
- God of the Ages, Whose Almighty Hand (GtG #331)
- The Right Hand of God (GtG #332)
- My Country, ‘Tis of Thee (GtG #337)
- O Beautiful for Spacious Skies (GtG #338)
- Lift Every Voice and Sing (GtG #339)
- This Is My Song (GtG #340)
- Where Cross the Crowded Ways of Life (GtG #343)
- Where Armies Scourge the Countryside (GtG #344)
- In an Age of Twisted Values (GtG #345)
- For the Healing of the Nations (GtG #346)
- O God of Every Nation (GtG #756)
- Why Do Nations Rage Together (GtG #758)
Prayers for the President and Other Leaders
sovereign over the nations,
direct those who make, administer, and judge our laws;
the President of the United States
and others in authority among us
that, guided by your wisdom,
they may lead us in the way of righteousness;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. (Book of Common Worship, 101)
God Most High,
in Jesus of Nazareth you show us the authority that pleases you:
for he rules not by power or might,
but serves in obedience to your will.
We pray for all in authority over us:
for our President, N., for Congress,
for our Governor, N., and our state legislature, (and N., N.).
Deliver them from vain ambitions
that they may govern in wisdom and justice.
God of mercy, hear our prayer. (Book of Common Worship, 104)
Rule the hearts of your servants,
the President of the United States (or of this nation),
and all others in authority,
that they may do justice, and love mercy,
and walk in the ways of truth.
(Book of Common Worship, 790)