Action Steps for World AIDS Day, December 1
Sign the Petition
Insist the United States remain a leader in this global initiative to fund HIV-AIDS interventions. Sign today!
What can I do?
The following suggestions come from HopeSprings, a faith-based non-profit organization based in Baltimore, MD. HopeSprings, working with a conglomeration of churches from the Baltimore region, exists to eradicate the spread of HIV/AIDS and its stigma and to provide hope and healing to those infected and affected by the virus.
- Host a training for your congregation on HIV/AIDS and the impact in your city;
- Hold a conference that brings together local service organizations and churches in your area;
- Hold a health fair and include testing and linkage to care services;
- Participate in the National Week of Prayer for the Healing of AIDS;
- Invite people that are HIV positive to speak to the congregation about Living Well with HIV and how we are all infected/affected;
- Hold a prayer meeting on a regular basis;
- Incorporate a prayer in your service on a monthly basis;
- Get involved with national seminars on HIV/AIDS;
- Get involved with the local/state Faith Based Community Initiative Office;
- Get involved with the local/State health department;
- Have your fine arts department create a service designed around the holistic ministry of Jesus – his healing work physically, mentally, socially and emotionally – and weave in HIV/AIDS;
- Have an education booth on a regular basis;
- Create an action plan for reaching those infected and affected by HIV; and
- Take a special offering for faith-based groups that are working in HIV.
- Get help in organizing a “Face AIDS” event
- Join PHEWA and the Presbyterian AIDS Network
- Join the National Observances Web Community
- Check out the World AIDS Day 2011 Packet
- Presbyterian AIDS Network (PAN)
- International AIDS Ministries, Presbyterian Church (USA)
- UNAIDS, a joint United Nations program on HIV/AIDS
- The United Church of Christ HIV & AIDS Network
- Lutheran AIDS Network
- National Catholic AIDS Network